We have established a comprehensive checklist of items to complete prior to moving into your new home.
We hope this checklist will help make your move a less stressful experience.
- Inventory your possessions to determine amount of declared value.
- Purchase insurance coverage for the valuables to be moved.
- Decide which items will be moved personally, and which items will be moved professionally.
- Contact movers, get estimates and set approximate moving date.
- Begin to gather packing supplies: boxes, tape, pads/bubble wrap, felt markers, a box cutter, etc…
- Notify your landlord/management company of your intention to move in writing. Arrange for return of rent security deposits.
- Select mover and set a tentative moving date.
- Plan and hold a garage sale to sell your unwanted items.
- Check to see if your will must be rewritten when moving across state (or county) lines.
- Have movers drop off additional cartons and boxes, or collect your own. Pack items movers will not be handling for you.
- Label all boxes with contents and “final room location” for movers.
- Select bank and/or savings association near your new home. Open new accounts and pre-arrange transfers prior to moving.
- Talk with school officials in your new area. Arrange transfer of children’s records/files to new school.
- Begin packing items that will not be used prior to your move. Examples: off-season clothes, books and seasonal decorations.
- Notify your insurance company of the move and arrange for coverage on your new home.
- Back-up important information/files from your computer(s).
- Notify doctors and dentists of upcoming move. Ask for referrals in your new area. Obtain copies of medical records. Fill needed prescriptions and obtain copies of eyeglass prescriptions.
- Ask veterinarian for referrals in new area. Obtain pet(s) medical records, get required vaccinations, and fill any needed prescriptions.
- Have your area rugs, drapes, quilts and clothes sent to the cleaners.
- Make your hotel reservations if driving for more than one day.
- Send change of address cards to:
• Doctors • Friends • Relatives • Charge accounts • Lawyers • Stock broker(s)
• Trash removal service • Banks • Savings and loans • Electric utility company
• Telephone company • Gas and sewer service • Pest control service
• Long distance phone co. • Alarm systems service • Professional organizations • Insurance companies • Social security office • Post office
• Cell phone company • Magazine subscriptions
- Check with your real estate agent on maintenance and security arrangements if present home is not yet sold. Leave keys and any necessary papers with your agent.
- Arrange disconnection dates for all utilities. Keep your telephone connection active through moving day for phone accessibility. Cell phones are also convenient for communication.
- Return and retrieve borrowed items.
- Pick up your items sent to the cleaners. Leave all items bagged for clean arrival to your new home.
- Arrange for “post move-out” housecleaning if necessary.
- Arrange for transportation of your pet(s).
- Contact your local newspaper and arrange delivery termination.
- Have your car serviced if making an extended trip.
- Provide your movers with a copy of your new floor plan. This will ensure the correct placement of furniture and boxes.
- Contact family and friends. Recruit help for moving day if necessary.
- Arrange for deposits and connection of utilities in your new home.
- Pack a bag of personal things and hygiene items that you will need during your move (change of clothes, toothbrush, toothpaste, medicines, etc…).
- Discard perishable foods and defrost refrigerator. Ensure unit is dry at least 24 hours before the movers arrive (if applicable).
- Dispose of all chemicals and flammable items safely.
- If necessary, arrange for a babysitter for moving day.
- Get travelers checks for trip, plus cashier/certified checks for the movers and the settlement on new home.
- Transfer and/or close your checking and/or savings accounts. Close safety deposit boxes.
- Collect and keep your important papers handy, such as medical, insurance, wills, birth records, etc…
- Meet your Venture Homes builder for your new home orientation.
- To save time and money on moving day, move light-weight items to one central location in home/apartment. The closer the area is to the door, the faster the movers will be able to load the moving van/truck.
1 Day Before Moving
- Meet at the attorney’s office for the closing of your new home. Remember to bring a cashier’s check for payment.
- Take a final tour of your home/apartment to ensure everything has been packed.
- If moving yourself, pick up rental truck along with hand truck or dolly to move heavy boxes and smaller furniture.
- Wash and dry any remaining dishes.
- Make yourself available for your movers.
- Supervise the unloading of your valuables at your new home.
- Check inventory to ensure that everything sent with the movers was delivered before signing the delivery papers.
- Check that all utilities have been activated in your new home.